FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- On a high level we have global 30 parameters, in total going into the algorithm we have more than 100 factors which are analyzed in milliseconds. The script is asynchronous which means that it doesn’t affect the loading time of the page , during real-time analysis.
- Each parameter has its own weight , depending on the influence it has in determining whether the bot. (e.g.
- Each visitor coming to the web-site gets a score based on these parameters and the weight of each parameter. There are 5 levels of bots, and we then classify automatically to what level of complexity the bot is.
- The score: Each parameter has it’s weight, when you add them all up , you get the highest score , for the sake of example 100. This is the most simplest bot (e.g. using a virtual machine, and using an IP-list found on the internet like Luminati to access a web-site). And if the score is roughly speaking 1 , this is a real-human who is not blocked.
- The bot is re-directed from your website to : blocked.botfaqtor.ru
- We are analyzing all our visitors on a daily basis with tests , to make sure we have not blocked any real visitors. If at least 1 person turned out to be a real visitor from all of the statistics we analyzed, we take immediate action. We are reassessing specifically, those parameters and adjust them in the algorithm as an exception.
- Example of parameters:
- Filtering of bot levels. You can choose what bot levels you want to block , first 3 bot levels are without doubt 100% bot , later 2 levels imitate human with more advanced parameters. Even if the last 2 levels are real people, they are likely to be fraud, who are changing browser parameters, installing special browser which anonymous such TOR.
Simply put, clickfraud pertains to all clicks conducted by malicious actors with a dishonest intention. Examples of clickfraud are humans clicking advertisements of their competitors, or having clickbots do it for them, in order to maximize their competitors’ advertising spend. In doing so, this practice gives them an unfair competitive advantage as they artificially push up the competitors’ advertising cost by tricking advertising systems in place, such as Google Ads. Clickfraud can also refer to malicious advertisers using clickfarms or clickbots to direct fake traffic to there own websites in order to cash in on ad revenue.
Clickbots are automated software tools that mimic human online behavior, and are used to perform certain actions on the web. For example, a clickbot may be used to click on a competitor’s ad, produce a fake software install, or similar actions like that.
Numerous forms of clickbots are used on the web. Many can be bought online, while others are malware and spread by stealthily infecting computers. They create traffic with a diverse range of IP’s, usually through anonymous proxies. Nevertheless, IP diversity is not typically enough to conceal click fraud attacks conducted by such tools, and the traffic they produce is recognizable. In order to achieve IP diversity malware-type clickbots infect computers, and their traffic may or may not be as readily recognizable as the traffic created by for-sale clickbots.
Ad fraud has been a big threat to the digital advertising market. Ad fraud has cost advertisers a whopping US$ 6.5 billion in 2017, according to the US National Advertisers Association. A recent Juniper Research study paints an even more bleak picture, predicting marketers will lose US$ 19 billion next year to fraudulent activities. This number, which reflects online and mobile ads, will continue to grow and hit US$ 44 billion by 2022.
The battle between clickfraudsters and those trying to prevent it from happening is essentially an endless arms-race. On a continuous basis ad fraudsters are inventing new ways to get around existing prevention methods used by marketeers. This is also the reason why traditional ‘rule-based’ systems don’t work, and why systems that leverage AI have a critical advantage in the early detection of new threats.
There are various ways bots are messing with your business. One of those ways is obvious: maxing out your ad budget by clicking on your ads. These so-called clickbots are programmed to expertly mimic human behavior as to avoid detection, and re-click your ads from different IP’s (often residential IP’s) each time. Additionally though, there are other harmful effects of bots. Sometimes they are so large in volume, that your website’s performance is seriously impacted, which of course has a negative effect on actual users. Furthermore, some bots crawl your website to collect and parse information about your business offerings, which helps your competition stay ahead of you with more competitive pricing, especially in eCommerce or Travel for example.
There are various ways to stop clickbots from messing with your ad budget.
Detect & Analyze
The first thing that may be done is to detect and analyze to what extent you are having this problem. This is the first tricky part, as the more advanced bots are hard to detect, and according to what we see in the market, they are also the most pervasive these days. The Honest Metrics software offers the most advanced way available of detecting threats to your ad budget with the highest accuracy. You can read more about those methods here.
Protect your ads
If you have established that the amount of bots abusing your ads is indeed significant, you will probably want to do something about it. One way of doing that is to block the IP’s of various sources. Unfortunately, Google only allows a maximum number of 500 IP’s to be blocked. You can manually upload a list of at most 500 IP’s yourself, but as the IP’s are continuously changing, this can be a tedious job - besides the problem that you may have way more than 500 bad sources at a given time.
Honest Metrics can help because we have identified a novel way of blocking an unlimited number of bad IP’s from being shown your ads. Also, as our system is certified for Google’s API, we are able to automatically update the list of all bad sources on a continuous basis, so you don’t ever have to make any effort at all. You can read more info about this process here.